Not quite true, there is alot to do and I have all the time in the world, it's just difficult to decide which way to go as there are so many things happening at the one time.
Everyone really gets into the Christmas spirit in the UK, the villages all rally together for various events, all these markets start popping up at the same time, usually on the weekend so I'm torn between at least two or three.
This weekend is the Farmer's market in Shaftesbury at 9am, then there is a Christmas craft fair at Stourhead and a festival at Tisbury (aptly named 'Tiztheseason). I guess I could attend all of them but the great lure of all these activities is to spend money, of which I have none!
Next weekend is going to be a busy one as well. On Saturday Andrew and I are going to a Christmas dinner at the Fox & Badger Inn at Wellow, it's a 3 course dinner for 16.95 a head. That day there is also a farmer's market at Stourhead, a Christmas fair at Bournemouth and a Christmas craft & gift bazaar in Gillingham! Then on Sunday there is a free candle making workshop at Stourhead.
To tell the truth, the main reason why I'm so interested in going to these markets and fairs is so that I can be a spy girl. I want to check out what kinds of market stalls people have, whether there are any candle stalls and if so how they display their candles and what kinds of prices they put on them. I definitely won't be ready to hold my own stall for a few months yet as I have so much to learn, but this is the best time of year to investigate these things because there are so many fairs and markets around, after Christmas it will be very quiet for a few months.
I hope the next five days fly past, Andrew has a four day weekend coming up, starting on Thursday. I want to take him to The Udder Farm Shop in Gillingham, where they serve yummy food and sell produce from local farms. We try to support local producers as much as we can and Andrew loves his cheeses (the smellier the better he reckons - barf!!!) so what better way to do it. Andrew's favourite cheese at the moment is Dorset Blue Vinney (eeeww), however I see that the Udder Farm Shop sells a cheese with the name of Stinking Bishop, so I'm sure Andrew will be in raptures.
Today I drove to Nunney to see Grandma, then I stopped at Homebase in Frome (I am addicted to Homebase!) and bought some more wine glasses with chunky stems so I can make all the candles we need for Christmas presents. I was pretty lucky actually, as I thought they had sold out of the tall glasses when I was there the other day but they'd found more stock and had them out on display when I returned today.
Tomorrow I'll go to the National Trust gift shop at Stourhead to find some nice Christmas gifts for family & friends back in Australia, as well as do my spy girl activities at the Christmas craft fair.
2 comments:
what a dilemma! Is it far between the markets? Could you feasibly be spy girl at all of them?
Can you send me an Italian Water Dog? Fell totally and utterly in love with a puppy today, absolutely gone! lol
Obviously the idea is to spend money at these markets, but I'm sure lots of people 'window shop' at them, i know I do plenty at sydney markets, that's pare of it.
Good planning m'lady! :)
Love the way you're doing links now so checked out the Udder Farm website and wish I was there as I just adore having local produce, the concept of knowing exactly where it is from. I also much prefer your new blog background, it's pretty but less intrusive than the previous one. Have fun with the candle making, I'm quite intrigued. Catch you later. P
Post a Comment