Friday, November 13, 2009

Spinach & Feta tart



The weather is crap outside so what a perfect day to bake.

1tsp olive oil
1 large red onion, sliced
300g spinach (use packet frozen spinach if you want to make this even quicker)
1 sheet of ready made shortcrust pastry
3 large eggs, beaten
300g feta cheese, diced or crumbled the choice is yours

Heat the oil in a large frying pan, gently fry the onion til tender.  Add the spinach and cook til wilted.  Set aside.
Line a round baking tin or ceramic dish with the sheet of shortcrust pastry, leaving 2-3cm hanging over the edge.
When the onion/spinach mix has cooled, squeeze to drain the excess liquid out, put it in a mixing bowl then add the beaten eggs and feta cheese, mix it all up (eave a little egg to brush the pastry when it comes to the final stage of preparation).
Pour the mixture into the pastry shell and fold the edges over.  Brush the pastry with the remaining egg, and bake it in a 180C oven for about 40 minutes.

We both had a slice of this for dinner tonight with Welsh lamb cutlets, some steamed vegies and mint sauce.  There is still enough tart left over for lunch tomorrow and possibly on Sunday too!  Next time I make this I think I will add some diced bacon and a few slices of tomato to the top of the tart before I fold the pastry over.

No comments: